When it comes to popularity, Finasteride is the more popular hair product. But the question is- does being more popular mean that it is the best? We are here to find out by comparing RU58841 with Finasteride, another product that’s used to stop hair loss and balding.
RU58841 VS Finasteride – In-Depth Study
To find out which Drug is more effective, we need to conduct a study. So, let us apply RU58841 in three kinds of solutions. One is in a 0.5% good solution, another is in 5% of the solution, and the last one is without any RU58841 in it. Now we need test animals.
So for that let us choose some test animals. We need to test the solution on the bald heads of around 10 or so stump-tailed macaques.
Now we need to distribute the solutions among the test subjects. For that, take 4 stump-tailed animals and then apply the 5% solution on their bald heads.
Now take 3 other animals and apply the 0.5% solution to their heads. That’s 7 of the 10 animals we choose for the test. So now only 3 are left. We need to apply the one solution with no RU58841 in it on the scalp of the rest.
Please note that the 5% solution is chosen because the common dose for RU58841 is with a 5% solution. So the study is being done keeping in line with this application instruction.
But this is just RU58841. We still need to prepare the study for Finasteride. So, we need to give oral Finasteride to 10 more stump-tailed bald macaques in doses of 1mg/day. This is to be done continuously for around 6 months.
Since male macaques weigh around 9 to 10 kgs so you need to give a dosage of around 10mg each day orally. But we also need to check if the macaques can grow hair on their own. So we need to give 10 more macaques an oral-placebo medication.
You might ask about the reason stump-tailed bald macaques were chosen. So note that these animals have a balding characteristic which is completely hereditary and similar to androgenetic alopecia that occurs in humans.
What results were found?
To know about the results of the above study, skin biopsies were taken for a technique called micromorphometric analysis.
These samples were taken at the period of 0-6 months when it came to the macaques that were treated using Finasteride. On the other hand, the samples were taken at a period of 0-4 months for the RU58841 given macaques.
You need to compare the current anagen as well as vellus follicles to that of the follicles in the pre-treatment stages. Once that comparison was done, the results found were:
- Anagen follicles saw a growth rate of around 88% in the follicle samples of those macaques who were given Finasteride.
- It was found that vellus follicles grew to their terminal size, as in they were strong, pigmented, and thick when the animals were given 12% Finasteride.
- It was observed that anagen follicles are proved on an average of around 103% in those animals who were given the 5% RU58841 solution.
- It was found that vellus follicles grew to theirs terminal size when the animal was given the 5% RU58841 solution.
- The animals who were given the 0.5% solution of RU58841 showed no effect almost.
- It was found that the 5% RU58841 brought about hair growth only after 2 months of treatment.
What were the systemic effects?
- It was found that in 2 macaques there was Plasma RU58841 as well as metabolites of 10-20mg/ml. These were those animals where the 5% RU58841 solution was used. Note that this was found right after 3 months of treatment.
- It was found that there was only 1 macaque that has any detectable levels of Plasma RU58841, as well as metabolites, present right at the very 6-month treatment mark.
- The study showed that there was no major impact on the testosterone or DHT Levels brought about by RU58841 at any time.
- When it comes to Finasteride, it was found that this reduced the DHT levels by around 70%. Note that the testosterone levels got increased due to 5a-reductase blockage. The same kind of results could probably be seen if estrogen was tested in the group treated with Finasteride. As in, estrogen levels would have been significantly elevated too.
What was concluded from the study?
- So even though RU58841 was sample tested at 4 months while Finasteride was tested at 6 months, but still, outperformed Finasteride.
- It also must be noted that even though Finasteride did reduce the DHT levels, but there was still DHT that made the 5α-reductase Type I isoenzyme that contributed to the hair follicle miniaturization. It was seen that because DHT and Testosterone both get bound to the present androgen receptor. So an AR blocker dose can suppress the DHT as well as testosterone-induced hairline regression way more effectively than the 5a-reductase inhibition.
- RU58841 can be systemic when it’s typically given. But there’s just no effect of it on the endogenous levels of androgen.
So is Finasteride is better than RU58841, or vice versa?
The conclusion for this study is that both of the hair loss products – Finasteride and RU58841 are effective when it comes to solving hair loss.
But if the question is – which one is better? Then know that the answer is undoubtedly Finasteride. After all, it was able to give better results and that too in a lesser period.
So, Finasteride is indeed a better option than RU58841. You will get better results and be able to see hair growth in a lesser period.
However, it’s advised that look into your case before choosing the product you want. After all, personal considerations should come first since you will be able to best determine what is right for you. As such, you should the hair growth product that suits you.